After a much needed winter vacation the RLD Podcast is back with another amazing and talented guest, Matthew Miller of Sunflowerman. He is a menswear illustrator and has made illustrations for magazines, boutiques, brands, and personalities to include, but not limited to:
GQ / Fossil / iW Magazine / Longines / TUMI / PROJECT Show / Strong Suit / Perry Ellis / SevenFriday / Time+Tide Andrés Sendra / Wolverine / CAT Footwear / Q Clothier / Andre Phillipe / Hanhart / and more.
In this podcast you’ll hear all about how he started his illustrating business, what inspires him, what tools he uses, and also:
- How he got his Sunflowerman nickname.
- How he learned to sketch menswear illustrations.
- His love of traveling, including Greece, the Appalachian Trails, Portugal, and more.
- How he chooses what he wants to paint during live fashion shows.
- How he goes about to connect with a brand for his illustrations.
- How drawing on book pages got started.
- How he deals with negative experiences with bad businesses.
- The tools and tips he recommends for beginners.
- and how he goes about pricing his pieces.
HERE is the link to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History Podcast that Matt mentioned.
HERE is the link to the Serial podcast that I mentioned.
HERE is the link to Project trade show we mentioned.
HERE is the link to his Watches blog.
HERE is the link to his book, 100 Watches Book.
HERE is the link to his book, Aesthetic Guide for the Dapper Man: Art Book.
HERE is a link to the Everlane Fashion brand.
HERE is a link to the rolling scanner I use (Matt’s scanner is mentioned below in his list of tools).
TOOLS MATT — USES AND MENTIONS
If you enjoyed this episode of The Reyna Lay Designs Podcast make sure you leave Matt a comment on his social media and let us know what you thought of this episode in the comments below. Thanks for tuning in and don’t forget to subscribe to the RLD Newsletter to get the latest & greatest of Reyna Lay Designs.
WANT MORE OF RLD? Check out the Reyna Lay Designs website at reynalay.com and find me on Etsy, Instagram, Twitter, & YouTube at the handle @reynalay. Like my page on Facebook, Reyna Lay Designs and join my group, The Reyna Lay Designs Group to get my next sewing pattern for FREE!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
If you’d like to donate any amount to the RLD Podcast for hosting and website fees, or better mic equipment, you can do so below. Thank you in advance!